Abusua – The student African American organization which originated in 1967 under the name of OCABC (Oberlin College Alliance for Black Culture).
African Heritage House – A south-campus residence and dining hall opened in 1974. It serves as one of Oberlin’s program houses, and encourages interaction and exchange of thoughts while promoting a thorough appreciation for African heritage. Residents dine together in Lord dining room for several meals a week. Also known as Lord-Saunders and Afro House.
Afro House – See African Heritage House.
Allen Memorial Hospital – The community and college hospital located on the western side of campus. Adjoining the hospital is the Oberlin Clinic, a doctor’s office building and the Student Health Office.
anti-discrimination clause – Printed in the Oberlin College Viewbook, it states: “Oberlin College does not discriminate in admission, financial aid, employment, or education programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family relationship to an employee of Oberlin College, physical handicaps, or veteran status…”
Artz, Frederick (Freddy) – Oberlin College ’16. One of the most famous professors on campus, Freddy Artz taught History from 1924 to 1962. He died in 1983.
Aschaffenburg, Walter – Professor of Composition and Music Theory from 1952 until his retirement in 1987.
Asian American Alliance – The student Asian American organization from 1972 to present.
B&G (Building and Grounds) – The college physical plant and maintenance building.
Barnard House – A small north-campus residence hall which formerly housed only men opened in 1968. It was only recently converted to a co-ed residence hall, and is currently serving as temporary administrative office space during the renovation of Peters Hall.
Barrows Hall – A large north-campus co-ed residence hall (not to be confused with Old Barrows, a south-campus housing and dining co-op) opened in 1956. Barrows has typically housed first-year students and currently is the campus’ all-first-year-student residence hall.
Bisexual Network – Uncharted student organization combined with Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Union.
Burton Hall – A large co-ed north-campus residence hall opened in 1947.
Carnegie Library – Opened in 1908, Carnegie was the former library and reading room before Mudd Learning Center was constructed. It was recently converted to office space for the Registrar, Bursar, and Financial Aid Offices.
Cleveland – A large city in Ohio approximately twenty miles east of Oberlin.
co-ed dorms – Oberlin pioneered college co-ed housing in the early 1970’s and received much national attention as a result. Prior to co-ed housing, the campus was split in half with the north-campus serving as the men’s campus and the south-campus serving as the women’s campus.
Computing Center – Located in Mudd Learning Center.
Con – The Oberlin Conservatory of Music.
Con Lounge – The lounge is in one of the main throughways of the Conservatory building. It is the location of much socializing and gossip.
connies – Slang for Conservatory students.
co-op – Oberlin College has a strong tradition of co-operative housing and dining facilities. Students may control their dining environments by choosing a dining co-op and may also live in one of the housing co-ops. All housing and dining co-ops on Oberlin’s campus are administered by the Oberlin Student Cooperative Association (OSCA) which originated in 1955.
Cooper, Jan – Associate Professor of English since 1984.
CRO (Community Resident Organizer) – CRO’s are upperclass students who choose to be part of the residence hall student staff. Their job is to help build and maintain community in the residence hall.
Danenberg, Emil – The tenth college president from 1975 to 1982. His relationship with the college goes back to 1944 when he joined the Conservatory faculty as a professor of pianoforte. He died in 1982.
Dascomb Hall – A large co-ed south-campus housing and dining facility completed in 1956. This south-campus dining hall was the closest large dining facility to the north-campus until the new Stevenson Hall was built in 1990.
Dionysus Dance Club – The campus nightspot located in the basement of Wilder Hall. Loud music and the only campus bar can be found in this inexpensive student hangout. Also called the ‘sco.
Disco – see Dionysus Dance Club.
East Hall – A large co-ed north-campus residence hall, noted for its psychedelic carpeting and abundance of single rooms opened in 1963. Its name is derived from its location on north-campus and its ‘E’ shape.
Elyria – The largest town near Oberlin which is nine miles northeast. It is home to the closest bus and train stations to Oberlin.
EXCO – The student run Experimental College courses may be taught and taken by anyone in the college community. Courses may cover any topic or activity, and are typically offered for one credit. A student may apply up to five EXCO credits toward graduation.