Smith, Tommy – Track and Cross Country coach from 1972 to 1978.
South Hall – A large co-ed residence hall on south-campus, known for its psychedelic carpeting (like East), and a large number of conservatory students. The basement is home to a dining hall not in use at the present time.
Starr, S. Frederick – The twelfth college president from 1983-1994.
Student Congress – Representatives from all student committees.
Student Finance Committee – Appropriates funds to student groups from student activity fees charged to all enrolled students.
Sutton, Karen – Associate Professor of Psychology since 1974.
Talcott Hall – A small south-campus residence hall situated across the street from both King Hall and the Conservatory. Opened in 1887, Talcott is known for its unique rooms and convenient location. Kosher Co-op and a campus dining hall can be found on the first floor.
Tappan Square – A thirteen-acre square with trees and green space in the center of campus. In 1903 a Memorial Arch, honoring Oberlin-connected casualties of the Chinese Boxer Rebellion, was the only structure on the square aside from three commemorative boulders, which turned into message rocks in the 1960’s. In 1984 a bandstand was built on the square.
`Ten Thousand Strong’ – A traditional Oberlin College song written by Jason Noble Pierce.
Thompson, John – Professor of Psychology and director of the student Psychological Services department from 1964 until his retirement in 1991.
Union – See Oberlin College Gay Union.
Viewbook – The brochure sent by the Admissions Office to prospective students.
WAM board – A comment and question-and-answer board for students’ use concerning library issues. Established by William A. Moffett, the board is continued by his predecessor.
Warner Hall – The former Conservatory, which sat on the northwest corner of College and Professor, dating from the 1880’s. It was demolished in 1964 and replaced by the King Building.
White, James – Financial Aid Director from 1967 until his retirement in 1990.
Wilder Bowl – A grassy quad bounded by Wilder Hall on the north, Mudd Learning Center on the west, Dascomb Hall on the south, and college administration buildings (Cox and Peters) on the east.
Wilder Hall – Wilder Hall, completed in 1911 and formerly the Men’s Building, houses the student union. Student organization offices, the Dionysus Dance Club, the student snack bar and mailroom, and meeting rooms are located in the center of campus.
Wilder Steps – The south entrance to Wilder Hall faces Wilder bowl. The steps and the bowl are a popular hang-out on sunny days.
Winter Term – Three January terms are required for graduation. Winter Term encourages students to educate themselves however they choose. Students may tailor-make a project or participate in a more structured program which may be completed on or off campus.
Women’s Center – The YWCA Lounge located in Wilder Hall.
Women’s Collective – A women’s-only living environment. Formerly in Mallory House, the collective is now found in Baldwin Cottage.
Women’s Collective room – Located in Wilder Hall.
YW Lounge – The YWCA lounge in Wilder Hall, now called Room 112. The YWCA and YMCA were popular campus organizations until their dissolution in the late 1960’s.
ZAMI – Lesbians of color student organization located in Wilder Hall.
Zeke House (Zechiel) – A small north-campus men-only upperclass residence hall opened in 1968. Zechiel is located close to the campus athletic facilities and has become known as the “jock” dorm.